Raise a Reader
10 Ways to Raise a Reader
We all want our children to do well in school. Reading is a vital skill for academic success. Use the 10 tips below to instill a love for reading that will make it a lifetime habit.
1. Read to your child. It's never too early to start; even newborns respond to hearing you read.
2. Continue reading together even after your child learns to read. Older children still enjoy listening to others read!
3. Make stories come alive for your child when you read. Be animated and use different voices.
4. Be patient; let you child read aloud at his or her own pace. Offer help only when needed.
5. Discuss what you read together. Ask questions and listen attentively to your child's answers.
6. Make reading time special. Cuddle up in a quiet, comfortable spot. Your child will associate reading with feeling secure, relaxed, and loved.
7. Encourage your child to read at least 15 minutes a day, either to you or independently.
8. Take along your child's favorite books wherever you go. Read on the bus, in line at a store, in waiting rooms...
9. Take your child to the library often and check out a variety of age-appropriate reading material.
10. Be a role model. Read on your own. By seeing how much you enjoy reading, you child will learn that it's a great source of information and fun.